Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Experiences Working With Kids in Malawi, Africa

The Impact of UrbanPromise International in the Life of Andrew

UrbanPromise International impact and change lives of different kids in Malawi through its different afterschool programs with an aim to make these children self reliant when they grow up.

I had a privilege to work with one of the five ministries of UrbanPromise Malawi for one year.  It was so exciting to work with the kids through this ministry.  I came to know and develop many meaningful relatonships with so many kids that I will live to remember and pray for the rest of my life.  I saw God using different people to change the lives of different children through the ministry programs.  One of the kids I developed meaningful relationship with was Andrew.  He is such a hard working young man who pays much attention with interest to you when you are speaking to him.  He asks you a lot of meaningful questions with a desire to learn more. 

I remember teaching him and his friends about the love of God, and the need for forgiveness.  He sat there in my class listening attentively with interest.  Little did I know why Andrew paid more attention and asked more questions until he later approached me after the class was over telling me how the lesson had changed his life completely.  He told me a story that he had a grudge against another person in his village.  As a result, they stopped talking to each other for three years.  This made him very uncomfortable.

When Andrew attended my lesson, things changed for the better.  It was his changing point.  He was convinced of my lesson, and decided to take action.  He went straight to the person he had a grudge with, apologized to him, and reconciled with him.  They are now good friends and are able to talk to each other on a friendly note.  Thanks to God for the lesson.  It completely changed his life.  The old is gone...and the new is come.  Andrew came and stood before his friends in class and narrated his story to us.  It was so exciting to hear his story and how God had used the lesson to change his life.  'I have learnt to forgive, and will teach others about it."  He said thi proudly before his fellow kids. 
 
Immagine you being in this situation.  What can you do?  Well, forgiveness is at the heart of Christian life....and if you believe in Jesus...the only way to deal with such issues is to forgive.  Why forgive?  God first forgave us....and we need to forgive one another.  Andrew is a good example of true forgiveness.  He took an initiative to forgive others.  I believe you too can learn from him and forgive others.  Forgiveness is not a mystery; it is a possibility.

God is really using this ministry to change lives of the kids and the communities.  I miss working with kids in Malawi now since I am in the United States of America.  I know God has many great things for these kids. It is my prayer that God will use the people who are there to advance God's Kingdom by witnessing to these kids.  You can take a step too.  Just pray for the kids, and the ministry in any aspect of prayer, and God is faithful to answer your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment